"The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others."
- Mahatma Gandhi
Volunteer with us
Volunteers are essential to the success of Fannie Battle. Whether time is invested through direct engagement, service days, donation drives, or other creative ventures – the impact on the lives of children and families served is equally important and meaningful to our organization.
We hope that you feel welcomed and part of our community.
UPDATE: Our volunteer program, consisting of individual, group, and corporate opportunities, has been temporarily suspended during this time. We are in the process of creating virtual or limited on-site opportunities for the summer and will provide updates. Thank you for your understanding.
Current center needs
Caroling for Kids is celebrating its 104th year as a treasured Nashville tradition. The fundraiser runs annually December 1st – 24th and caroling groups assemble to serenade neighborhoods in and around Nashville to raise money for Fannie Battle Day Home. Groups, on average, have raised $30,000-$35,000 in the last 5+ years, which makes this our most successful, volunteer-run fundraiser.
We rely on our District Chairs to coordinate caroling groups within their district, including distributing information and materials to caroling groups. We provide the information, the materials, and the training; but our district chairs are our force in the field.
* You can’t wait for the holidays
* You love people
* You are organized
* You are a natural leader
* You love to have fun
* You want to make a difference in their neighborhoods and in Nashville by supporting Fannie Battle Day Home
* You have time to dedicate September (training) through December (caroling) – estimated total hours 6-8.
We are hosting a District Chair training on September 17th from 5:30 – 6:30p via zoom. Please use this form to sign up to attend, whether you have already committed to a district or would like to learn more, so we can send you the zoom details. Thank you!
All the individual opportunities listed require a minimum of one hour, with an on-going commitment of at least two visits per month. We encourage volunteers to dedicate their time to one classroom, however volunteers are able to use their time in other classrooms, if desired. A 30 minute tour and orientation is required prior to volunteering with us. Volunteers must be 18 years or older.
Volunteers will spend time interacting with babies through play, tummy-time, reading, and assisting teachers with lessons and other needed duties during their visit.
9:00a – 4:30p, with a minimum of one hour per week
Monday through Friday
Must be able to lift up to 25 lbs.
Classroom volunteers will assist teachers with lesson plans and classroom upkeep, as well engage with children through reading and center play.
9:00a – 11:00a and/or 3:30p – 5:30p with a minimum of one hour per week.
Monday through Friday
Must be able to lift over 40 lbs
*Lunch and nap are from 11:00a – 3:00p.
- 3:30 – 5:30p, Monday through Friday, with a minimum of 1 hour September through May.
- Help children with homework – ages 5 years to 12 years
- 9a – 5p, Monday through Friday, with a minimum of 1 hour June through August.
- Center-play, assist teachers with lessons, read, attend enrichment field-trips and more.
Corporate involvement opportunities at Fannie Battle vary to allow companies flexibility based on their needs, while having a meaningful contribution to our organization. Activities range from on or off-site team building projects, such as weekend meal kit assembly, or specific on-site assignments like playground beautification or in-classroom projects.
Whether you belong to a scouting group, service club, or church group, we have opportunities for you.
- On-site center projects outside maintenance, painting, cleaning, etc.
- Classroom assistance read and engage with children, assist teachers, etc.
- Donation drives & fundraisers weekend food bags, home goods baskets, assemble a caroling group, etc.
Items of note for groups (school, church, scouts, etc.)
- Must be local
- Ages 13+, with chaperones (for in-classroom opportunities)
- Monday through Friday from 9:00a – 11:00a (for in-classroom opportunities)
- Max attendance 15 individuals