"The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others."
- Mahatma Gandhi
Volunteer with us
Volunteers are essential to the success of Fannie Battle. Whether time is invested through direct engagement, service days, donation drives, or other creative ventures – the impact on the lives of children and families served is equally important and meaningful to our organization.
We hope that you feel welcomed and part of our community.
UPDATE: Our volunteer program, consisting of individual, group, and corporate opportunities, has been temporarily suspended during this time. We are in the process of creating virtual or limited on-site opportunities for the summer and will provide updates. Thank you for your understanding.
Current center needs
- Every year, Fannie Battle Day Home hosts a school-age summer enrichment program to keep our children engaged, learning, playing, and having fun. In past summers we have had the opportunity to visit fantastic places like the Adventure Science Center, The Hermitage, and other fun and educational places. However, with COVID, we have been severely limited in what can be experienced.Well, we’ve put our creative caps on and have come up with some great virtual volunteer opportunities that YOU can help us with to make this one summer our kids won’t forget.
On July 21st from 1p – 2p, we are putting together a “sip & paint” event: think the adult version, but with juice boxes. 😀
The details of your experience:
We are looking for a talented and creative individual to help us paint a beautiful masterpiece one step at a time. You just need to let us know what supplies are needed and provide us a picture of what the final art will look like and we will be ready to rock and roll on July 21st.
We will connect with you via zoom in our school-age classroom and the event will be broadcast on a social platform (possibly facebook live) so others can join in the fun.
WHEN: Tuesday, July 21, from 12p – 2p (event from 1p – 2p)
- 3:30p – 5:30p, Monday through Friday, with a minimum of one (1) hour September through May.
- Help children with homework and reading
All the individual opportunities listed require a minimum of one hour, with an on-going commitment of at least two visits per month. We encourage volunteers to dedicate their time to one classroom, however volunteers are able to use their time in other classrooms, if desired. A 30 minute tour and orientation is required prior to volunteering with us. Volunteers must be 18 years or older.
Volunteers will spend time interacting with babies through play, tummy-time, reading, and assisting teachers with lessons and other needed duties during their visit.
9:00a – 4:30p, with a minimum of one hour per week
Monday through Friday
Must be able to lift up to 25 lbs.
Classroom volunteers will assist teachers with lesson plans and classroom upkeep, as well engage with children through reading and center play.
9:00a – 11:00a and/or 3:30p – 5:30p with a minimum of one hour per week.
Monday through Friday
Must be able to lift over 40 lbs
*Lunch and nap are from 11:00a – 3:00p.
- 3:30 – 5:30p, Monday through Friday, with a minimum of 1 hour September through May.
- Help children with homework – ages 5 years to 12 years
- 9a – 5p, Monday through Friday, with a minimum of 1 hour June through August.
- Center-play, assist teachers with lessons, read, attend enrichment field-trips and more.
Corporate involvement opportunities at Fannie Battle vary to allow companies flexibility based on their needs, while having a meaningful contribution to our organization. Activities range from on or off-site team building projects, such as weekend meal kit assembly, or specific on-site assignments like playground beautification or in-classroom projects.
Whether you belong to a scouting group, service club, or church group, we have opportunities for you.
- On-site center projects outside maintenance, painting, cleaning, etc.
- Classroom assistance read and engage with children, assist teachers, etc.
- Donation drives & fundraisers weekend food bags, home goods baskets, assemble a caroling group, etc.
Items of note for groups (school, church, scouts, etc.)
- Must be local
- Ages 13+, with chaperones (for in-classroom opportunities)
- Monday through Friday from 9:00a – 11:00a (for in-classroom opportunities)
- Max attendance 15 individuals